Program November 4, 2022
Legal Sessions: Eight (yes we said 8) lawyers… Two Rooms…How many different opinions?
Join our Eastern Ontario Lawyers as they take us through the current issues in Enforcement and Governance, including CAT proceedings, Governance Glitches, Challenging Personalities. Mediation and Arbitration, Superior Court Proceedings, and Condo Administrators.
Make sure you have at least 2 members of your Board in attendance, as you won’t want to miss the information being shared in each of the rooms!
Governance Glitches - Requisitioned meetings, special assessments, and administrators having the ultimate decision making power?
Requisitioned meetings, special assessments, and administrators having the ultimate decision making power?
As buildings age, and demographics in a condo community change and fluctuate, it can become increasingly challenging to navigate day-to-day operations. Join our experts as they provide strategies and stories to help guide you through some of the most challenging governance decisions, including levying special assessments, dealing with challenging interpersonal relations, and owner meetings. And to summarize it all, find out when a condo may be at risk of having an administrator appointed if governance goes awry!
- Moderator: Patricia Elia, Elia Associates PC
- Jessica Weick, Davidson Houle Allen, LLP
- David Lu, Davidson Houle Allen LLP
- Antoni Casalinuovo, Elia Associates PC
Enforcement: The Who, What, Where, When, and Why.
Superior Court, Mediation, Arbitration, the CAT, so many options!
With the expanding jurisdiction of the CAT, the shrinking jurisdiction of the superior court, a heavier judicial emphasis on mediation and arbitration, and many other twists and turns in the world of enforcement, (don’t get the lawyers started on chargebacks!!!), join our expert legal panel for a review of some of the most recent cases on enforcement, a discussion on enforcement strategies and how to ensure your corporation addresses enforcement issues effectively.
- Moderator: Jonathan Wright, Elia Associates PC
- Megan Molloy, Elia Associates PC
- Graeme Macpherson, Gowlings WLG
- Cheryll Wood, Davidson Houle Allen LLP
Break with Exhibitors
Cage Match - Bare Knuckle Reserve Fund Study Knowledge
Smart people can disagree, but reserve fund and capital planning theories are things these speakers get passionate about. Have you ever wondered what a reserve fund planner’s pet peeves are? Do you struggle at night with the concepts of temporal equity in condominium ownership? Can you tell if a board is underfunding a building by looking at a single picture of it? Join us as leading thinkers in the industry discuss and debate the future of reserve funds in Ottawa, theoretical principals and how they're applied, disasters waiting to happen, and the new PEO reserve fund guidelines.
- Moderator: Nancy Houle, Davidson Houle Allen LLP, Condominium Law
- Justin Tudor, P.Eng., LCCI, President, Keller Engineering
- Sally Thompson, M.Sc. P.Eng. LCCI, Synergy Partners Consulting Ltd.
- Stephanie Robinson, P.Eng., WSP Canada Inc.
How to Use & Not Abuse Your Manager!
In a time of property manager shortages, it is increasingly important for board members to maintain a positive and productive relationship with their property manager. The condominium management profession has shifted into a highly skilled career, and managers’ time should be spent accordingly. This session will be a round table with property managers and board members discussing and offering suggestions towards utilizing management staff. Attendees will gain insight into the current industry shortages followed by suggestions as to how they can build a relationship built on continuous improvement.
- Moderator: Rod Escayola, Partner at Gowling WLG
- Noah Johnston, BA, RCM, OLCM, Vice President of Sentinel Management Inc.
- Michelle Compton, RCM, OLCM, President of iCondo Property Management
- Barry Craven, Vice-President, CCC No. 142
- Rick Buston, Board Member, OCSCC No. 903
Lunch with Exhibitors
Long Condo-vid -The lingering effects of covid on Condos
From supply chain and staffing woes, to working from home, rising inflation rates, and shorter tempers. Join our panelists as they provide insights into the issues that continue to plague the health of our condominiums.
- Moderator: Gregory Devine, Business Development and Marketing Manager, McIntosh Perry
- Adam Boosey, P.Eng., Director of Restoration, Bassi Construction
- Lyndsey McNally, Director, Condominium Finance, CWB Maximum Financial
- Melinda Andrews, Davidson Houle Allen LLP
Dealing with Defects & Defaults
Whether your condo is newly built or seasoned with age, it is likely that you won’t escape a defect or default in your building’s life cycle. This team of legal, engineering and management, have seen it all! Join them as they guide you through the key issues to consider if (when) your community is faced with this challenge. Warning: the anecdotes and stories are not for the faint of heart!
- Christy Allen, Davidson Houle Allen LLP
- Gerry Bourdeau, RCM, Condominium Manager, Condominium Management Group
Break with Exhibitors
The Insurance Panel
A panel of insurance professionals will explain the ups and downs and ins and outs of the current condominium insurance marketplace. Understand why rates have increased and what you can to help manage these costs while still protecting your investment.
- Moderator: Michael Lewicki - Terra Firma Real Estate
- Tom Gallinger, Honours BBA, FCIP, Atrens-Counsel Insurance Brokers
- Trish Watson, Account Executive – Condo Building Business Unit, Gifford Carr Insurance Group
- Steve Skolny, Insurance Broker – BFL CANADA Realty